Saturday, February 13, 2010

Bienvenue! Welcome, World!





Hello, MukMuk.

I cannot believe that the games are here! I cannot believe that it's been 2 years since I've signed up to be a volunteer, and 2 years of waiting finally ended when they sent me in to get my uniform. I was so excited, so relieved...

Would you understand how big of a hug this opportunity represents? Someone somewhere thinks I'm good enough. Good enough to stand in this wonderful uniform to represent Vancouver...British Columbia...Canada.

Never have I been so proud of myself.


Bienvenue

When I looked at my schedule, and saw the 5am, 4:30 am shifts, I nearly fell out of my chair. Oh God I hate mornings. Winter mornings stink even more. Not to mention that starting from mid January, I was essentially saying goodbye to weekends, and pretty much life in general. Still, 2010 was to be mine, and how better to start this adventure?

Working before the games were here, getting to meet hundreds of people every day, working with the best people I could have asked for...with the best supervisors ever! I have raved over how much I love this volunteer post. I love Brittney, she's so chill so easygoing, and she knows absolutely everything and everyone at the Pacific Coliseum. I love Adam, he's so funny...he IS the UN...and he taught me my first ever Australian slang. Budgey stealer. lmao.

I actually found myself saying certain words with an accent. I'm still not sure what accent because I absorb so many different ones every shift. I figure it must be Australian somewhere in there lol. You'd be surprised at how receptive you are at 5am. ;)




So now the wait is ended, and the torch is lit. I cried watching the flame approach. I cried when Gretzky lit the torch finally. I cried watching every re-play of all the Olympic moments. Perhaps pride is not a virtue, but I am so very proud to be Canadian.

It's been a fantastic ride so far, and 2 weeks left to go.

I waited so long for this - I don't want it to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Cloudy with a chance of Sunshine. - Free Blogger Templates - Home